Thursday, May 29, 2008

Ode to Second Grade

Today was the last day of my teaching career. It was a great two years and I learned a ton of things that will definitely help me as I prepare to teach my own children. It's hard to believe that all the work I put in to getting my education and doing well in school has finally come to an end. I will always be grateful for the time I had as a certified teacher in a public school. One of the things that I treasure the most about this experience is how much I have changed and grown as a person.

Wednesday the 28th was field day for my kids. We spent almost the entire time outside (I have a lovely farmers tan to show for it). Here we are at our first rotation waiting for the game to be set up. I asked the kids to give me a normal picture and then we would take a goofy one. (Notice the one in the back middle who forgot the type of picture we were taking)

Now for the goofy one...

We had to play the human knot at one of the stations. At the beginning of the year, we played this to try to work on our communication. It's funny how the kids completely forget what they learned earlier in the year because they acted as if they had never played the game before....it could have been the candy they had just gotten from the last rotation though.



This was probably my favorite rotation of the day. The kids had to use teamwork to get the water balloon from one towel to the next with the end purpose to see if I could catch it. Let's just say that they were not very good at this. But the cool thing is that after they finished, the lady who was doing this station had them come sit down and talk about what they learned through the experience about teamwork.


A part of me will miss teaching but I am so grateful that I get to stay home with Gabbie this next year. Thank you, Kyle for letting us think about and eventually make the decision for me to stay home.

3 comments:

Meshelle said...

Wow, Christy...what a bitter-sweet day, I bet! I had no idea you were planning to not teach anymore... :) Are you gonna be a SAHM w/Gabbie?

Rochelle said...

Yeah for finishing! I'm so glad you get to join the stay at home mommy world! You are going to love it. We had so much fun visiting with you guys... it will be SO nice to see you in August! I'm ready to start a countdown! :) Thanks for budgeting your time and money to make it possible. We know how hard that can be and we truly appreciate it. We love you guys!

Kate said...

YAY! it was so funny to me that i was looking forward to the end of the year, and then on friday, i woke up and had no idea what to do with myself... i'm not a mom yet, we aren't moving quite yet, and i was a lost mess!! :) it'll definitely get better though... and we're going to have a blast next year just playing with baby girls!