Friday, June 12, 2009

LIfe in Texas

I know a lot of you have been wondering where we disappeared to lately. We have been really busy with work and getting settled in here in our new home. Things have been great! We have taken care of some things that were important, like finding a new bank and have done some things that are not as important but fun, like finding the library.

Gabbie is adjusting pretty well. She has moved from her crib into a big girl bed in preparation for Noah's birth. Her first night in it was last weekend and it was pretty scary for her. Kyle got her up out of the crib in the middle of the night and took her into the big girl bed. The poor little thing cried and cried. Any time daddy moved she would reach out and grab his hand to make sure he not going anywhere. Her crying woke me up from a deep sleep and when I went in to see what was going on, she was laying in her bed with daddy right beside her and they were talking to each other about being a big girl now. I went back to bed and Kyle came a few hours later. She stayed in the bed all night long!!!! Since then it has been interesting. She definitely does not sleep as well as she did in the crib and she doesn't think naps are important in this new house. Another new 'activity' she has developed lately is throwing a fit when she doesn't get what she wants. We are trying to be calm and patient with her knowing that she has had a lot to adjust to these last few weeks but it is really starting to try my patience. Any advice?

Kyle met his co-teachers the first week we were here and got the textbook he will be teaching from next year. We saw his classroom and yay! no trailer. They decided to put him in a classroom instead because it would cause the least amount of people to move. There is a lot expected of him and he is anxiously awaiting the time when he can go to work full-time as a teacher and not have to do Eleutian full-time anymore.

I have been pretty busy with getting the house in order. I guess I am OCD about things like unpacked boxes because I had almost all of the boxes unpacked within a few days of getting here. I would be sitting on the couch and see something that needed to be unpacked and even though I was super tired, I had to get up and go unpack I guess I wanted things normal and didn't want to live out of boxes for weeks. My stubborness came out during this time as well because Kyle would try to get me to sit down and relax but I wouldn't listen. I am very lucky that he is a patient man with me because I know I tried his nerves.

Church is great here. We felt so welcome last week and have already met some wonderful people. Thank you for all of the support we have been given in this big change in our lives. We could not have done it without all your support, prayers, and love.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I'm so glad you guys are settling in well! I'm the same way about unpacking... it just doesn't feel like home to me until everything has a place and there are pictures on the walls! Besides, it can be a big pain in the butt trying to find things that are still in boxes! I think you're smart (even if you're stubborn) to get it all done as soon as you can, because you'll have a newborn soon, and who wants to do it then? Sorry I have no advice for you about Gabbie... I'm sure this transition is a little tricky for all of you, and she's just getting to that fun age, isn't she? I've heard that transitioning from a crib to a big kid bed is hard for a lot of kids... I'm actually hoping to keep Hannah in her crib until she's at least 2, maybe even 2 1/2. We have the pack n' play that I could use for a new baby whenever that time comes. And with the crib tent over it, she can't climb out! Muahaha. Maybe she'll be in her crib forever. Just kidding. :) We miss you guys!

King J, Queen M, Princess E and Princess M said...

It's called nesting Christy. :) I let Millie stay in her crib probably until she was probably just shy of 3 . She and Maddie are exactly 2 years apart. But Maddie didn't need the crib until she was a little bit bigger. She slept in our room for the first few months and then went into the cribble, or the pack and play. It was just so much easyer to keep Mills in the crib since she wasn't climbing out of it yet and it was one less thing that was new for her. And when she was ready to move she did horrible in a toddler bed. So we tried just the regular twin and she did that just fine and wouldn't climb out of bed until we would come get her. Maddie was a whole nother story. :)

That's probably some of Gabbs issues with it too. So many changes. And it is going to be a rough transition going from being an only child and having your undivided attention to having to share you and Kyle now. A little bit of stability in her life will go a long way in helping you to keep your sanity. Keep those naps going for as long as you can.

Anna....of Anna's Quilting Designs said...

It is good to hear from you. If it were me, I would leave Gabs in the crib. She's had sooo many adjustments right now and if her bed and her surroundings have changed too, those you can control and give her the security she deserves. Adjusting to the new baby will be a big one for her, and if she can feel secure in her bed for a few months until you need it for Noah, I'd let her have it. You have the bassinet for him and then the porta-crib, so that's my two cents. Plus, she knows to take a nap in there, and that's another bonus for you. Nap time means sleep time for mom and dad. Two kids will be harder to coordinate sleeping at the same time, however, but giving her some security will benefit all of you.