Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Gabbie's Projects

I love looking at other blogs and getting ideas for things to do with Gabbie. Since that is one of the reasons I enjoy blogs so much, I thought I would share some of the stuff Gabbie and I do together in case it might give some of our readers ideas.

In learning the letters, we drew pictures for things that started with the letter 'A' (don't laugh at the pictures...when it came time to draw, I couldn't think of anything that started with the letter 'A').

This project was a HUGE mess because Gabbie would squirt the glue into a huge pile, put her fingers into it then grab some rice. She probably had more rice stuck to her than the paper but it was one of her favorites.

For this tree, we traced her arm then she did finger prints with stamp ink because we didn't have paint.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle is one of lady's favorite books. This activity was based off the story and the lifecycle of a caterpillar. First we read the story together then we made a caterpillar with lots of colored circles. After that we painted butterflies with watercolors.


This is one example of the monsters we made. I grabbed some of the kitchen utensils and traced them on paper. Gabbie drew on them after I made their eyes.

another very messy but fun activity...finger painting with pudding.

Collages are one of my favorites. Gabbie really just likes the glue aspect but she's starting to figure out that you put the glue on then you put something on top if it.


Clouds...

The newest project...bubble painting. I added some food coloring to our bubbles and then we blew them on the paper to pop. Next time we'll use more than one color of bubbles but you get the idea.

Painting on bread... I took some milk and mixed a little bit of food coloring into it. The paintbrushes were q-tips and the paper was the bread. After painting, we toasted up the bread and Gabs enjoyed it for breakfast.



A lot of these ideas came from books I checked out at the library or information I found when searching for toddler art projects online. I love to get those books that have a bunch of activities you can do with kids because they give me ideas when I am stuck on the same stuff with Gabs. If you have any good craft/learning activity ideas, please share!!

5 comments:

Angela said...

Oh you are the best mom! I need to be waaaayy better with Caleb. We actually did our first painting project just a little bit ago. I'm sure this winter we'll start using some ideas to have some indoor creative fun! Thanks for sharing! The painting bread idea is cool, kind of gross to think of eating it, but I think I'm going to try that with Caleb! Thanks for the ideas!

Lesly said...

okay you and kate bailey seriously win mom of the year awards. I feel like I hardly do anything with Piper. What are some suggestions for a 1 year old?

Christy said...

Lesly I'd just let her put things in a bucket and dump them out over and over. We played basketball with Gabs at that age and let her make socks and a laundry basket into a ball and hoop. And these are over a four month period, I hardly ever do crafts with her regularly.

Kate said...

LOL, seriously Lesly! I don't deserve an award, either! I just try my best, but I'm definitely not perfect. I love checking out books like that too, but the list I shared on my blog of ideas is more aimed toward younger kids, like Hannah's age. I like to try to do something with Hannah each day, but I've moved my goal toward more like 4 times a week... and they aren't usually big projects, but small things. I love the projects that you did on here though, Christy! Those ideas are brilliant and I'm definitely going to give them a try!

King J, Queen M, Princess E and Princess M said...

Oh Christy, thanks for the idea's. I defiantly am in a rut with Maddie in preschool and you have my creative juices flowing again. I need to be better at taking pictures of the things we do.