Monday, April 21, 2008

Spring Break

This last week was Spring Break for me and I needed every minute of the week long break. It was so nice to be able to stay at home with Gabs during the day and see what she actually does during the time that I am at school with other peoples kids.

On Wednesday, Kyle had reading days for BYU so we decided to do a family trip up to the Clark Planetarium in Salt Lake. It was tons of fun. I was probably more excited than anyone else but that's okay. Moms who like to learn new things are cool right?


We loaded up Gabs in her stroller and set off. Doesn't she look really excited to go inside?


She gets really big eyes when she is looking at something that makes her excited. Now that she has started to recognize that the camera won't do anything to her, she gets excited when it comes out.


After a show about Black Holes in the Dome Theater, Kyle and I had to take a break from learning stuff. I had a huge headache so we just strolled down the hall towards the bathroom and started taking some funky pictures of our heads. They seemed to turn out decent enough so I decided it was okay to post on here. (I'm one of those people that hate to get their picture taken if you couldn't tell.)



There was this display of the first walk on the moon right outside the Dome Theater. Gabbie and I decided to walk in the footsteps on the display and truly "experience" some history.


My favorite thing in the planetarium was this station where you got to do a weather broadcast for KSL that projected on to the tv. Kyle had to get up there and try it out. He was goofing off and pretending like he actually knew what he was talking about. I ended up laughing a ton.


Are we done yet? I'm tired.


Kyle's trying to answer some questions about the planets for a quiz here. I got 100 % on level 1, then he missed a few on level 2 and was disappointed in himself. Those questions were way hard though; it was about stuff I had never even heard of before. There were signs with information about each planet but where is the fun in actually standing there to read them. It's way better to just guess.


Gabs and Daddy are stuck somewhere in the middle of Mars.


"Look guys, I'm floating."



"How did I get here?"


The elevator was huge. It was large enough to stick a small compact car inside of it. Too bad we didn't have one...that would have been a fun activity.


"I love it when Mom and Dad get silly."


Kyle had to say this about this picture...He wanted this as a separate post but since I'm doing it and he's writing a paper, this is as good as he gets...: "Who said women aren't from Mars?"


"There's some weird looking guy coming to get me mom. HELP!"


Another way to waste away some time.


Kyle stood here and just watched as Foucault's Pendulum swung back and forth. He had to wait until it had knocked over one of the metal bars that was standing up. We learned that it takes about 32 hours for the pendulum to go all the way around and that it doesn't actually move. The Earth's rotating makes it swing back and forth. It doesn't do it on its own.


Right next to that there were some telescopes that we got to gaze through to find a small picture of Saturn in the far corner of the room. Here Kyle was looking into two simple lenses that were demonstrating how an image is seen in a telescope.


"Land Ho!"


It was a great learning experience, not to mention buckets of entertainment. We fully intend to purchase some zoo/museum/aquarium passes when we move out to Texas. I want to be able to get out of the house and go enjoy something that is fun and helps us to learn more. I really loved the break. Going back to school today was not very easy. I just wanted to stay in bed and pretend that I didn't have to go back to the real world. Once I actually talked myself into getting up the day went great. Being a teacher is definitely not a simple, boring job.

2 comments:

Rochelle said...

We've been there a few times... it's so much fun! I can totally imagine Kyle acting out the weather man's job! You guys are so cute. Good luck with your last few weeks! you're almost done!

Kate said...

LOL, I'm glad you guys had so much fun! We've definitely wasted time at the planetarium too... it's kind of fun to learn new things though, isn't it? Gabbie is getting so big! I love her huge eyes, and I'm glad I got a few smiles the other day. :) 24 1/2 days left until you can be with her all the time!!